Michigan State University
- Date Posted 2/26/2018
- Category Agriculture
- Position Type Part-type
- Employment Terms 5/1/2018 - 10/1/2018
- Compensation $11/hr, 40 hours per week (hourly)
- Application Deadline 3/15/2018
- Report a problem with this listing
OverviewSummary: The Michigan State University Viticulture Extension team is excited to find a motivated individual to serve as the unit’s 2018 research technician/ intern.
This position will give a successful applicant the opportunity to:
- Conduct applied field work specializing in grapes and also in a variety of fruit crops including cherries, apples, and Saskatoon.
- Gain valuable research experience, including experimental field plot design, data collection/presentation, data summarization, and basic lab work.
- Gain hands-on experience in multiple agricultural disciplines, including entomology, plant pathology, horticulture, and agronomy.
- Gain hands-on experience in wine grape fruit chemistry and wine grape insect pests
- Work independently and collaboratively with MSU researchers, industry stakeholders, and farmers to accomplish research objectives.
A successful applicant will:
- Have experience working outside and putting forth excellent effort to all assigned tasks.
- Have good attention to detail and the ability to be flexible with tasks and daily work.
- Be both a helpful team member and capable of conducting independent work.
- Be punctual, organized, responsible and possess an outstanding attitude and strong work ethic.
- Work efficiently in variable weather conditions.
- Be ok with manual vineyard labor (pruning, canopy management, and fruit sampling) and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Undergo a routine background check conducted through Michigan State University prior to hire.
- Enrollment in or completion of either a 2-year or 4-year college program, agricultural subject preferred.
- Previous experience in collecting data from experiments and Microsoft office programs.
- Previous work experience in a field related to plant science (farm labor, crop scouting, seasonal help, etc.).
To apply for this position, send the following materials to Thomas Todaro at Todaroth@msu.edu:
- A current resume.
- A statement of your specific reason(s) of this position (1 page or less, single spaced, 12-point font).
- Contact information for 2 professional references (if not included on resume).
Interested parties contact Thomas Todaro at email@example.com or 231-256-9888 by March 15th, 2018.